What does HIPAA compliance means for paperless forms? Are your paperless forms are HIPAA compliant? If you own a business related to healthcare or if you have any business that has healthcare insurance policy for your employees, then you probably have a rough idea about HIPAA.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 is a set standard for protection of patient’s sensitive information. This act was established for healthcare or medical institutions. When your company is compliant with HIPAA, they ensure that your client’s health information is protected. These companies have the necessary security measure that includes all kinds of security- Physical safety, secure process, and network safety- in order to have the HIPAA compliance. This includes covered entities (CE), that is the people who provide treatment to patients, the transactions, payments, and operations carried out for healthcare. It also includes associates in business, subcontractors and anyone who has access to patient’s information. All these entities must be in compliance.
If your business is not in HIPAA compliance, you might be subjected to heavy fines or even criminal charges.
For your paperless management system, your customer mobile forms must be in compliance with HIPAA. You need to have a trustworthy HIPAA compliant system for digitizing your customer forms like formrly.co. Along with HIPAA, formrly.co also has PHI compliance, which is the security standard set for companies or organizations that deal with credit cards from major card schemes.
The safeguards included in HIPAA compliance, as offered by formrly.co include:
- Physical security measures that control the use and access of workstations of all electronic media. In addition to this, a facility security plan must also be in place to protect devices that store data. The physical measures must include video surveillance systems, power savers, disaster recovery system and fire suppressants.
- Technical security that takes care of safeguard of all technical data, including encryption and decryption.
- Network and transmission security blocks unauthorized access to data of general public or anyone outside of your business. This covers all modes of data transmission including emails.
- Administrative safeguards monitor the network and transmission security measures. They safeguard the sensitive documents and restrict access to them. So even people inside the workplace will have restricted access if you want it to be that way.
- The main features of administrative safeguards are login monitoring and access authorization. Login monitoring means that you can monitor the users who access the sensitive documents. Access Authorization refers to the management system where different users have different levels of access to your documents and information. You want certain employees to have restricted access? That can be achieved through HIPAA compliance.The billing department doesn’t have access to the information that the physician has. Thus, it maintains a healthy balance of access to patients information.
Still wonder how to make sure that yout paperless management system is in compliance with HIPAA ? Paperless management system has an ease of HIPAA compliance as all your customer forms are electronic and you can safeguard them by using a proper application for digitizing your paper forms, like formrly.co. Before digitizing your forms you need to make sure whether they are HIPAA compliant or not, because in the latter case your business might have to suffer due to legal issues. With forrmly.co you don’t have to worry about all that, just sign up, enjoy a free trial for a whole month, digitize your paper forms and watch your business bloom!